Thursday, June 18, 2009

I have no idea what I'm doing! The Build Begins!

After much consideration, I have decided to build a Goat Island Skiff designed by Michael Storer. I chose this design for several reasons: It's supposedly simple to build, it's light, it has an unstayed one-masted rig, and it performs well. Also, there have been many built, some builds of which are recorded online in detail, either at the Wooden Boat forum, or in various blogs. Thus, finding suggestions or answers to peculiar questions shouldn't be too much of an issue with the wealth of information online. This is great, and I hope my contribution adds to the conversation and information available.

I was entranced by other open boats, notably Iain Oughtred's yawl designs and John Welsford's designs (especially the Houdini). They are beautiful boats, and though they are supposedly relatively easy to build (for the serious/dedicated amateur-- whatever that means), I know them to be more complicated than the GIS. This, coupled with the fact that I may be car-topping the boat by myself, sealed the deal. I will be living in NH with relatively easy access to Lake Winnipesaukee and Lake Sunapee, with plans for Lake Champlain and the Connecticut River. Easy one-man off-water handling but with the space for my woman was therefor essential.

My woodworking skills are in the toilet, and for that reason, this blog. I am not stupid around wood, but I haven't really worked with it since Jr. High School. I took a lot of Tech. Ed. classes in 7th and 8th grade, but those went away in High School, and I haven't really touched a piece of wood working equipment since. I've built a rough and tumble worm bin (Google it) and I helped (kinda) build an ice shanty (brutally destroyed by the Adirondack winter) but that's about it. While I found some great information, blogs, and diaries online of GIS boatbuilding, no one explicitly came out and said, "I have no idea where to begin, or what I'm doing." So what does "simple" mean when there is no context? So that's what I'm doing now. I don't know what I'm doing. I have no tools, yet. I don't even know what I need. For those who are interested in building a wood boat, but feel a lack in skills, watch me screw up. I'll keep a tally of money, time, and joy/(frustration) spent on the project. The money will be only money spent on supplies needed to build the boat, minus the tools I have to buy.

Today, 6/18, the build officially begins because I ordered the plans from Duckworks Boat Builder Supply. It took me 5 min. to order them online, easy. I ordered the physical plans because I'm old fashioned, which added 30 bucks. Once they arrive, we can get really started on this boat. This was a relatively stress free experience. Onward! Fair Winds! Calm seas! Blah blah blah! Wish me luck. Really, I really want this to work out, so send good juju!

4 comments:

  1. Go for it sailor! U gisamateur! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will it have an anchor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I reworked it for you to target today’s market.

    Thursday, June 18, 2009
    Yo Wassup fools! I aint have no idea what I'm doing on the reel! And lo, Ye Build Begins!

    After 14 Cosmopolitans I have decisively decided to build a Goat Island Skiff designed by Michael Storer. The name may be ugly, but lo, I am not. I selected this design for several reasons: It's stealthy, plywood, reminds me of my optimist days, and I have no tools or shop. Now, there have been many built, at least one at least. Some builds are recorded online in detail, either at the Wooden Boat forum, where I lurk, or in various blogs. So you’d think finding suggestions or answers to peculiar questions shouldn't be too much of an issue. This is meh, and I hope my contribution is super duper.

    I was entranced by other open boats, like canoes. Of note, I like the word “yawl” and almost went with Iain Oughtred's yawl. This dude, John Welsford's designed the Houdini and that’s cool and all probably, but I need it simple. I’m a total newb, which one is a phillips? This, coupled with the fact that I may be car-topping the boat by myself, sealed the deal. I will be living in a treefort in NH with relatively easy access to Lake Wannacomesexme and Lake Sitonme. I aim to make like the galleons of yore and circumnavigate the globe and mabye Lake Champlain and the Connecticut River. Easy portage and space for my rum was essential.

    My woodworking skills are in the toilet, and for that reason, this blog. I am not stupid around wood, I mean, I can make an awesome club. Truthfully, I haven't really worked with it since Jr. High School. In fact, I took 2 of those nigh useless Tech. Ed. classes in 7th and 8th grade. I haven't really touched a piece of non-IKEA wood since. I have built a rough and tumble worm bin (Google it) and I kinda sorta almost helped build an ice shanty. This was destroyed by the bedamnedable Adirondack winter.

    Allow me to wax philoshopical, ride the light fantastic. While I found some great information online about GIS boatbuilding, no one explicitly came out and said, "I have no idea where to begin, or what I'm doing." So what does "simple" mean when there is no context? There is no spoon. So that's what I'm doing now. I don't know what I'm doing. Was that confusing?

    I have no tools, yet. I don't even know what I need (besides tools). For those who are interested in building a wood boat, but don’t have any skills – grab some rum and watch me screw up. I'll account for money, time, and swears I’ve invented while working on the project. The money will be only money spent on supplies needed to build the boat, as I hope to borrow most of the tools I need.

    Lo! Today, 6/18, the build officially has begun. Lo! I doth has ordered the plans from Duckworks Boat Builder Supply. It took me 5 min. to order them online. I ordered the physical plans because I'm old, which added 30 bucks. Once they arrive, we can get really started on this boat. Wish me luck. Really, I really want this to work out, so send government bailout money!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For 150 bucks those plans better be detailed! Coulda just winged it.

    ReplyDelete